Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Southwestern Style Rice- Yum!

So I found this recipe online, and I just had to try it! I made my nanny family this in a steamables bag as a side with dinner and was dying for it homemade once I got home. I made a few tweaks to suit what was in my own cabinet and to spice it up a bit!

It makes a great side or you can up the amount of beans (and substitute for the chicken brother of course) for a yummy vegetarian dish!

Southwestern Style Rice

1 (15 oz) can of chicken broth
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
cayenne pepper to taste
dash of cilantro
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 can of corn (or 1 12 oz package of frozen corn thawed)

Pour chicken broth into small pot or saucepan over high heat. Add garlic powder, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, and cilantro and bring to a boil. Add rice, reduce heat to simmer, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
Add black beans and corn and heat thoroughly.

EAT!
:P

No comments:

Post a Comment