Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sweet Spaghetti without Rosemary!

I was making a lovely spaghetti dinner  (now simmering on the stove until the growly man gets home) when I realized I had no rosemary! Now, I consider myself someone who can come up with things on the fly and make it work... but I'd never made spaghetti sauce without rosemary before.
I thought, well, maybe I'll add all of my other spices, and you won't really be able to tell.
You could.
Ahhh!


SO I started digging through the cabinets, and I discovered that adding a pinch of a couple other seasonings I had laying around actually made it taste amazing! You couldn't tell there was a lack of rosemary, and now I have a nifty new way to make my famous spaghetti!


Momma Forgot the Rosemary Spaghetti


1 lb ground beef
Angel Hair Pasta
1 large can of Tomato Sauce (or 2 small ones)
1 can of Tomato Paste
1-2 tsp dried Basil
1-2 tsp dried Thyme
1 tsp dried Cilantro
1 pinch ground Fennel
1 pinch ground Coriander
2-3 cloves of fresh Garlic
Handful of Cherry/Grape Tomatoes Halved or Quartered (opt)
Salt and Pepper
2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil (separated)
Texas Toast- preheat oven at start of cooking


First, get your sauce going! The biggest mistake I was ever taught was to start the noddles first, but then your sauces never have enough time to simmer, and your flavors don't combine nicely.


So, for the sauce combine tomato sauce, tomato paste, and 1 T of EVOO into a large saucepan over medium heat. Peel and chop finely your garlic. Add chopped garlic, tomatoes, and all seasonings to the sauce and mix well. Cover.


Get a large pot of water on the stove for the pasta. Add 1 T of EVOO and a pinch of salt*.


In a pan, start browning your ground beef. This is optional. Make the beef as fine as possible as you cook it. 
Taste your sauce. Add any seasonings you think it may need. Add the beef and stir to combine. Cover and turn heat to simmer.


Water should be boiling now. Break your pasta in half and add to boiling water. Stir occasionally to keep the pasta from sticking together.


Put your texas toast in the oven. Most cook at 425 for 5-6 minutes. Your pasta and toast will finish together.


Now, load up your plate and dig in!




*There is a myth that adding salt to the water makes it boil faster. Technically, yes, salt water boils faster. Salt lowers the boiling point of the water. However, when cooking, the amount of salt used doesn't make that much of a difference. We add salt to the water because it is the only way to season your bland pasta. So only add enough to season. We're not making sea water!

No comments:

Post a Comment